What I Learned From Listening to Year 7 Students
When I started this research, I wanted to understand one big question:
What makes a school feel positive when you first arrive in Year 7?
To find out, I spoke to Year 7 students and read the journals some of them shared about their first weeks in secondary school. You told me about your experiences — the good parts, the tricky parts, and the confusing parts.
Here are some of the most important things I learned:
1. Belonging really matters.
Feeling like you fit in, having friends, and knowing someone notices if you are there (or not there!) makes a huge difference. When students felt they belonged, school felt better.
2. Teachers make a big impact.
Students talked a lot about teachers who were kind, fair, and clear. When teachers explained things properly and treated students with respect, students felt safer and more confident.
3. Knowing the 'rules of the game' helps.
Secondary school has lots of new systems — timetables, classrooms, behaviour rules. When these were explained clearly, students felt more settled. When they were confusing, students felt stressed.
4. Being trusted and listened to matters.
Students feel more positive when adults take their views seriously and give them some responsibility.
One important thing I discovered is this:
A 'positive school' is not just about being happy all the time. It is about feeling safe, respected, included, and able to grow — even when things are challenging.
Your voices shaped this research. Without your interviews and journals, none of this would exist.
So thank you :)
Comments
Post a Comment